During my (all too brief!) second stint on the East Coast, J and I took advantage of my proximity to Maine to take a short detour there after visiting some friends in Boston. He regaled me with tales of his college/medical school travels, while I sat back and enjoyed the drive through New England’s lushly green roads. We ended up grabbing a lobster lunch at Chauncey Creek, and it was wonderful! Fresh, sweet lobster, a walk on the beach, the warm mugginess of summer – what a great memory of New England summer days from college.
I made this refreshing and light salad the other night for dinner after finding some lobster tails on sale at the grocer’s – my fishmonger is quite good, and I couldn’t resist them after wandering by after work. American lobster, specifically Californian or Maine lobsters, are a great sustainable seafood choice. It is also a great source of lean protein with a good dose of zinc and selenium.
Lobster, Avocado, and Grapefruit Salad (serves 2, adapted from here)
- 3 lobster tails
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pink or ruby-red grapefruit
- 1 firm-ripe California avocado
- 1 oz baby arugula (2 cups)
- Coarse sea salt to taste (optional)
- Plunge lobster tails 8-quart pot of boiling salted water . Cook, covered, over high heat for about 6-7 minutes from time it enters water. Transfer with tongs into an ice bath. When lobster is cool enough to handle, remove meat from tail, keeping meat intact. Chill lobster, covered, until cold.
- While lobster chills, stir together shallot, lemon juice, and table salt in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Add oil in a stream, whisking.
- Cut peel, including all white pith, from grapefruit with a sharp knife. Cut segments free from membranes and transfer segments to paper towels to drain.
- Halve avocado lengthwise, discarding pit. (Save 1 half, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, for another use.) Halve remaining avocado half lengthwise and peel, then cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- Cut lobster tail meat crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Divide avocado and all of lobster meat between 2 salad plates and arrange grapefruit around them. Top with arugula and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt (if using) and serve immediately.